Today’s Discussion: How Core Strength and Low Back Pain Are Related
In the world of Chiropractic, Physical Therapy, and Sports Medicine, there is much debate and discussion revolving around the topic of “core strength.” The reason this topic has been so highly discussed is usually in regards to the fact that research has shown us that individuals possessing greater core strength and stability often have reduced incidences of things like low back pain, sports injuries, and postural dysfunction. With this article I would like to discuss exactly what the core is and the role it plays in helping us stay injury and low back pain free.
The core is made up of a lot of different muscles and tissues all working in synergy to provide a solid foundation for the body to operate upon. One thing that people often mistake about the core is the actual muscle groups it incorporates. It is not just the abdomen that needs to be strong in order to have a strong core; in fact it is much more than that. The core does include the abdominal musculature like the rectus abdominis, and the obliques, but the back or posterior part of your body needs to be equally if not greater in strength and stability. Having strong back muscles, along the spine as well as having deep “stabilizer” muscles will help your body better react to everyday forces that are applied to it. Along with having strong back muscles, having strong and flexible leg muscles is also extremely important. The hamstrings need to be flexible and firing properly, along with the big muscles like the gluteus maximus or your “butt muscles.” Yes, there should be muscle there, not just a seat cushion! If muscles like the gluteus maximus and hamstrings are strong and doing their job, they will help stabilize the pelvis, which in turn will help decrease some of the forces and load that is placed on the lumbar spine or “low back.”
The chiropractors at Mountain View Pain Center are well trained in identifying weaknesses in your core musculature. If low back pain is your problem, it is very possible that there is dysfunction in your core. Through soft tissue treatments and rehabilitative exercises, core dysfunction can be treated successfully and ultimately lead to you having less pain, and having increased ability to do the things you want to do in life. If you have questions or concerns related to your posture, pain, or core weakness, don’t hesitate to contact us!
Cost Effectiveness of Chiropractic Care for Low Back Pain
A new study that was in the November 2010 issue of Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics looked at the cost effectiveness of chiropractic care vs medical care for the treatment of low back pain. The primary reason for this study was to determine if there are differences in the cost of low back pain treatment when a patient is able to choose between a medical doctor (MD) versus a doctor of chiropractic (DC), given that his/her insurance provides equal access to both provider types. The study was done on Blue Cross Blue Shield of Tennessee’s large group fully insured population between October 1, 2004 and September 30, 2006. The results of the study showed episodes of low back pain treatment initiated with a DC were 40% less than those who saw treatment of their low back pain with an MD.
Chiropractic Care is more effective!
This study shows that chiropractic care for low back pain is more cost effective than medical care for low back pain. If you have any questions about this study or questions about your low back pain please feel free to give us at 303-221-1569. Mountain View Pain Center is located in Centennial and Aurora CO which is conveniently located to Denver CO, Highlands Ranch CO, Littleton CO, Greenwood Village CO and Lone Tree CO.
Low Back Pain Study
A study published in the Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapy looked at the efficacy of chiropractic manipulation over muscle relaxants for subacute lower back pain. The design of the study was a randomized, double blind clinical trial. The study was done on 192 people that had low back pain for 2 to 6 weeks. The people were divided into 3 groups; 1st group received chiropractic manipulations, 2nd group received muscle relaxants and the 3rd group got a placebo.
Low Back Pain Study Results
The results showed that chiropractic manipulation was more beneficial for low back pain than both muscle relaxants and placebo when patients responded to the Global Impression of Severity Scale questionnaire.
What this study indicates to us is that chiropractic care should be the first line of care when a patient is having low back pain. Chiropractic care has the lowest risk with the highest patient satisfaction when treating low back pain. If you have questions about your low back pain or want more information please feel free to contact us anytime. Our office is in Centennial, CO which is conveniently close to Highlands Ranch CO, Littleton CO, Parker CO, Denver CO, Englewood CO, Greenwood Village CO, and Aurora CO
Brief Discussion on Sciatica
Sciatica is a crippling and debilitating symptom of a herniated disc or piriformis syndrome. Sciatica is described as radiating/shooting pain moves down the back of the leg. The pain can start from the back and travel down to the back of the knees. The pain can be different from person to person depending on the specific cause of the pain. Whether the problem is from a herniation of a disc or a muscular problem such as piriformis syndrome, sciatica responds favorably with conservative treatment and physical therapy. At Mountain View Pain Center we work with the spine and the muscular system to relieve pain, and get to the route of what is causing the pain so the symptoms do not return in the future. One of the most beneficial treatments for sciatica is decompression therapy. This will relieve the pressure a disc herniation places on the nerve, removing the pain, numbness, or burning caused by the compression.
We will design a treatment plan that will not only help you get of pain; it will help you stay out of pain. Our treatment plan will include physical therapy, chiropractic care, and rehabilitation programs. We also, work with all major medical insurance companies so; let us call your insurance in so you can get the most cost effective treatment. We have two locations one at 8216 S Holly St Centennial CO 80122 303-221-1569 and another at 6616 S Parker Rd Suite 106 Aurora 303-645-4363. Which are conveniently is close to Denver CO, Lakewood CO, Parker CO, Littleton CO, Highlands Ranch CO, Cherry Hills CO, Lone Tree CO, and Greenwood Village CO.
Cost of Back Pain
The cost of back pain has grown higher and higher each year in the United States this is evident with the new research released by Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ). The costs of back pain have resin to more than $30 billion in 2007, that’s $14 billion higher compared to 1997. The AHRQ reports that in 2007 27 million people age 18 and older have reported back pain and of that 19 million received medical treatment. The average out of pocket cost for treatment of back problems were $1,589 per adult in 2007 ($1,146 for outpatient care and $446 for prescription drugs). As these healthcare cost continue to rise what is an effective treatment for back pain?
At Mountain View Pain Center our Chiropractors specialize in upper back and low back pain. We have extensive knowledge of the musculoskeletal system so, not only would our Chiropractors address the Chiropractic aspect of your back problem, we would also look for other ways to treat your condition (look under treatments tap to see different treatment options).
Treatment of Back Pain
We will design a treatment plan that will not only help you get of back pain; it will help you stay out of back pain. Our treatment plan will include physical therapy, chiropractic care, and rehabilitation programs. We also, work with all major medical insurance companies so; let us call your insurance in so you can get the most cost effective treatment. We are conveniently located to Denver CO, Aurora CO, Lakewood CO, Parker CO, Littleton CO, Highlands Ranch CO, Centennial CO, Cherry Hills CO, Lone Tree CO, and Greenwood Village CO.
Free Blog News Letter
- Whiplash From An Auto AccidentDo you have a whiplash injury? During this time of the year motor vehicle accidents are more frequent due to the winter weather conditions. Even from a minor fender bender […]Dr. Ihsan O. Erhuy
- Core Strength and Low Back PainToday’s Discussion: How Core Strength and Low Back Pain Are Related In the world of Chiropractic, Physical Therapy, and Sports Medicine, there is much debate and discussion revolving around the […]Dr. Ihsan O. Erhuy
- Facet Syndrome Treatment and DiagnosisOur Chiropractors Discuss Treatment and Diagnosis of Facet Syndrome This week’s discussion deals with facet syndrome. Facet syndrome is one of the most common causes of pain originating from the […]Dr. Ihsan O. Erhuy
- Chiropractors Discuss Herniated Cervical DiscsHerniated Cervical Discs Did you know that one of the most common causes of numbness, weakness, and pain down your arm could be related to a herniated cervical disc? Other […]Dr. Ihsan O. Erhuy
- Sacroilliac Joint PainSacroilliac joint pain and dysfunction One of the most common causes of low back pain is dysfunction of the Sacroilliac joint (also knows as the SI joint). The sacroilliac joint is one of […]Dr. Ihsan O. Erhuy
- Chiropractors Discuss Hip PainDiagnosis and Treatment of Hip Pain Are you having trouble moving around because of a hip problem? Are you having difficulty walking up or down stairs? Is it painful to […]Dr. Ihsan O. Erhuy
- Chiropractors Discuss Muscle Spasm’s, Sprains and StrainsHow to tell the difference between Muscle Spasm, Sprains, and Strains With the NFL continuing into the playoffs, many of us are sitting by watching the injury reports to see […]Dr. Ihsan O. Erhuy
- Sports Physicals $25.00Sports Physicals and Concussion Screenings $25 With fall sports just around the corner it’s time to get your student athlete’s physical for the year. For a limited time Mountain View […]Dr. Ihsan O. Erhuy
- Centennial CO Chiropractic | Pain ReliefCentennial CO Chiropractic | Pain Relief Centennial CO Chiropractic office offers pain relief to patients suffering from musculoskeletal injuries. Chiropractic is an effective and most importantly cost friendly way to not only relieve your symptoms of pain, […]Dr. Ihsan O. Erhuy
- Centennial Chiropractor | Concussion ScreeningConcussion Test Centennial Chiropractors Do Concussion Screeings For Athletes Centennial Chiropractors | Concussion screening is a new and effective way to aid in the early and more accurate detect of […]Dr. Ihsan O. Erhuy