FAQ about Chiropractic
What is Chiropractic?
Chiropractic is a healing discipline firmly grounded in science. Although its main focus is the relationship between the skeleton (particularly the spine) and the nervous system that runs through it, chiropractic is concerned with the care of the entire body. Chiropractors use various diagnostic methods, including x-rays, to discover the state of your health, paying particular attention to your spine and bone structure. Spinal manipulation and other manual adjustments are their primary methods of helping your body heal itself.
The word chiropractic comes from a combination of the Greek words “cheir” and “praktikis”, meaning “done by hand”.
Is Chiropractic safe?
Yes. Its non-surgical, drug-free approach to health places chiropractic among the safest of all health care practices. Remember, chiropractic takes nothing out of the body and puts nothing in. As a result, chiropractors enjoy one of the lowest malpractice rates of all health care professionals.
What to expect on the first visit?
Your initial visit at Mountain View Pain Center will begin with a consultation, where your doctor will take a complete case history and gather information about your present condition. Next, the doctor will perform an examination to evaluate the nature of your problem. This examination generally includes a series of basic physical tests, as well as a specialized chiropractic evaluation of spinal movement and posture. If necessary, your doctor may recommend X-rays or diagnostic tests to obtain further information about the mechanics of your spine and the details of your condition. After completing the analysis, your doctor will explain your problem and map out an appropriate plan of action with you. If necessary, you may be referred to another health care specialist for further evaluation or treatment. Doctors of chiropractic work with a variety of health care professionals in the best interest of their patients.
How much education does a Chiropractor have?
Doctors of Chiropractic are well educated. Chiropractic education and medical education are similar in many respects and different in others because chiropractors do not prescribe drugs or perform surgery, and medical doctors do not correct vertebral subluxations. After graduating with a Doctor of Chiropractic (D.C.) Degree, each candidate passes the demanding four part National Board Examinations. Then, doctors apply to a governmental or professional licensing board and pass a still more difficult test before being granted the privilege to practice. A chiropractor’s education, however, never ends. Most doctors complete regular postgraduate instruction for license renewal and to stay current on the latest research and adjustment techniques.
Why do Chiropractors take x-rays?
Chiropractors take x-rays to reveal the internal structure and alignment of the spine. We are also concerned about underlying disease processes and disorders of the spine such as spinal deterioration, arthritis of the spine, abnormal development, bone spurs, disc disorders, tumors and spinal curvature. X-rays also provide a blueprint for correcting the spine back to optimal health and alignment.
Is Chiropractic care appropriate for children?
Did you know that the fastest growing area in Chiropractic is the treatment of children? Some practices are entirely specialized in pediatric chiropractic, which shows how widespread such treatments are becoming. Children respond well to chiropractic. Did you know that 52 percent of all children will suffer from low-back pain at some point,with nearly 15 percent experiencing frequent or ongoing pain? Surgery would make little sense in the growing body, nor would drugging the young mind with painkillers.That’s where chiropractic fits in and provides a viable alternative to such invasive procedures. Studies are coming out showing the effectiveness of chiropractic in treating minors.
What is a subluxation?
In simplest terms, a subluxation (a.k.a. Vertebral Subluxation) is when one or more of the bones of your spine (vertebrae) move out of position and create pressure on, or irritate spinal nerves. Spinal nerves are the nerves that come out from between each of the bones in your spine. This pressure or irritation on the nerves then causes those nerves to malfunction and interfere with the signals traveling over those nerves.
How does this affect you?
Your nervous system controls and coordinates all the functions of your body. If you interfere with the signals traveling over nerves, parts of your body will not get the proper nerve messages and will not be able to function at 100% of their innate abilities. In other words, some part of your body will not be working properly. It is the responsibility of the Doctor of Chiropractic to locate subluxations, and reduce or correct them. This is done through a series of chiropractic adjustments specifically designed to correct the vertebral subluxations in your spine. Chiropractors are the only professionals who undergo years of training to be the experts at correcting subluxations.
What is a Chiropractic adjustment?
In basic terms, the spinal adjustment or spinal manipulation refers to the process in which the doctor of chiropractic skillfully applies controlled force into one or more “subluxated” vertebrae of the spine. The adjustment is also frequently used in the pelvic region to normalize the sacroiliac joints. The adjustment is usually delivered using the hands or through the use of a specialized mechanical tool. chiropractic adjustment?
What type of conditions do chiropractors treat?
Chiropractors treat many musculoskeletal and nervous system disorders and conditions that affect the spine. Many are listed below.
- Back sprain or strain
- Bursitis and tendonitis
- Coccydynia (tailbone pain)
- Degenerative disc disease
- Headaches (certain types)
- Herniated and bulging discs
- Piriformis syndrome
- Spondylosis (osteoarthritis)
- Whiplash and upper back pain
- Short leg syndrome
- Sports injuries
Free Blog News Letter
- Whiplash From An Auto AccidentDo you have a whiplash injury? During this time of the year motor vehicle accidents are more frequent due to the winter weather conditions. Even from a minor fender bender […]Dr. Ihsan O. Erhuy
- Core Strength and Low Back PainToday’s Discussion: How Core Strength and Low Back Pain Are Related In the world of Chiropractic, Physical Therapy, and Sports Medicine, there is much debate and discussion revolving around the […]Dr. Ihsan O. Erhuy
- Facet Syndrome Treatment and DiagnosisOur Chiropractors Discuss Treatment and Diagnosis of Facet Syndrome This week’s discussion deals with facet syndrome. Facet syndrome is one of the most common causes of pain originating from the […]Dr. Ihsan O. Erhuy
- Chiropractors Discuss Herniated Cervical DiscsHerniated Cervical Discs Did you know that one of the most common causes of numbness, weakness, and pain down your arm could be related to a herniated cervical disc? Other […]Dr. Ihsan O. Erhuy
- Sacroilliac Joint PainSacroilliac joint pain and dysfunction One of the most common causes of low back pain is dysfunction of the Sacroilliac joint (also knows as the SI joint). The sacroilliac joint is one of […]Dr. Ihsan O. Erhuy
- Chiropractors Discuss Hip PainDiagnosis and Treatment of Hip Pain Are you having trouble moving around because of a hip problem? Are you having difficulty walking up or down stairs? Is it painful to […]Dr. Ihsan O. Erhuy
- Chiropractors Discuss Muscle Spasm’s, Sprains and StrainsHow to tell the difference between Muscle Spasm, Sprains, and Strains With the NFL continuing into the playoffs, many of us are sitting by watching the injury reports to see […]Dr. Ihsan O. Erhuy
- Sports Physicals $25.00Sports Physicals and Concussion Screenings $25 With fall sports just around the corner it’s time to get your student athlete’s physical for the year. For a limited time Mountain View […]Dr. Ihsan O. Erhuy
- Centennial CO Chiropractic | Pain ReliefCentennial CO Chiropractic | Pain Relief Centennial CO Chiropractic office offers pain relief to patients suffering from musculoskeletal injuries. Chiropractic is an effective and most importantly cost friendly way to not only relieve your symptoms of pain, […]Dr. Ihsan O. Erhuy
- Centennial Chiropractor | Concussion ScreeningConcussion Test Centennial Chiropractors Do Concussion Screeings For Athletes Centennial Chiropractors | Concussion screening is a new and effective way to aid in the early and more accurate detect of […]Dr. Ihsan O. Erhuy