Diagnosis and Treatment of Whiplash
The Chiropractors at Mountain View Pain Center, located in Centennial and Aurora, see whiplash injuries frequently. We pride ourselves on creating custom treatments to restore your good health by using only the best chiropractic, massage, and rehabilitation treatments avaliable. Our location in Centennial, CO and our new location in Aurora, CO allows us to conveniently serve the surrounding areas including Denver, Lakewood, Parker, Littleton, Highlands Ranch, Cherry Hills, Lone Tree, and Green Wood Village.
When whiplash injuries occur, the speed of the impact often has little correlation to the pain and symptoms. You may feel fine after a small impact in a car accident because whiplash injuries do not show up immediately. It is possible to be involved in a minor car accident and not know that you are suffering from whiplash until weeks after the initial collision. For these reasons it is important that you see a doctor of Chiropractic to make sure you are not injured.
What is Whiplash?
Whiplash is most commonly used to describe injuries suffered in a motor vehicle accident. The sudden snapping motion of the unsupported head is what whiplash refers to. This is especially common in car accidents due to the fact that the seat belt holds the body in place while the head is forced into hyper flexion and extension.
Whiplash does not only occur in car accidents. It can also take place during sports such as hockey and football. An example of the whiplash injury occurring in football would be when the quarterback is getting ready to throw and is hit by a defensive lineman forcing the head into hyperextension just like a car accident. In hockey the whiplash injury usually occurs when a skater is hit from behind. The problem in both examples is that even with all of the padding there is no protection that restricts head and neck movement. Because of this, the head and neck are susceptible to whiplash injuries similar to those suffered in car accidents.
Whiplash is known by the technical term of cervical acceleration or deceleration injury, or for short CAD. Our necks have ligaments, musculature, nerves, intervertebral disc, arteries, vessels, as well as boney structures. Because of the complex structure of the neck there are many different ways for the whiplash injury to occur.
Causes of Whiplash
- Forced Hypertension – hypertension refers to the bending of the neck backwards, which can cause many different injuries. The anterior scalenes and the SCM (sternocleiomastoid) are the muscles that are usually strained during this type of whiplash injury. Ligament damage may also occur during forced hypertension whiplash injuries.
- Neurological Damage – During a whiplash injury the force of the brains impact on the side of the skull may damage the cortex or cerebellum. Forced hyper flexion can cause pressure on the brain resulting in a concussion.
Symptoms of Whiplash
The two most common types of whiplash injury symptoms are pain and limited motion of the cervical spine, also known as the neck. Other common symptoms of whiplash are headache, numbness, impaired neck movement, radiating pain into the arms, hands, and fingers, low back pain, vertigo, ringing in the ears, nausea, jaw pain, pain between shoulder blades, disc herniations, loss of motion, and more.
Whiplash Treatment & Rehabilitation
Mountain View Pain Center provides a series of chiropractic treatments for the surrounding communties of Centennial and Aurora to help you on your path to recovery after a whiplash injury. First we relieve pain and inflammation through cervical spine adjustments, electrotherapy, and soft tissue mobilization. This portion of treatment requires patients to take a break from physical activity and allow the body to rest.
Once the pain and inflammation involved with your whiplash injury are under control you will begin your rehabilitation. Your whiplash rehabilitation will include exercises for your upper extremities and neck.
The treatments will be customized to meet the needs of your specific injury, the Chiropractors at Mountain View Pain Center understand there are many different ways that whiplash injuries can occur, and someone in a car accident will need different treatments than an athlete that suffered a sports injury.
If you or someone you know has been in an automobile accident please have them call our Centennial, CO Chiropractic office or our Aurora, CO Chiropractic office. We work very closely with lawyers and most insurance companies to try and get your care covered and get you on the road to recovery. Call Today.
Free Blog News Letter
- Whiplash From An Auto AccidentDo you have a whiplash injury? During this time of the year motor vehicle accidents are more frequent due to the winter weather conditions. Even from a minor fender bender […]Dr. Ihsan O. Erhuy
- Core Strength and Low Back PainToday’s Discussion: How Core Strength and Low Back Pain Are Related In the world of Chiropractic, Physical Therapy, and Sports Medicine, there is much debate and discussion revolving around the […]Dr. Ihsan O. Erhuy
- Facet Syndrome Treatment and DiagnosisOur Chiropractors Discuss Treatment and Diagnosis of Facet Syndrome This week’s discussion deals with facet syndrome. Facet syndrome is one of the most common causes of pain originating from the […]Dr. Ihsan O. Erhuy
- Chiropractors Discuss Herniated Cervical DiscsHerniated Cervical Discs Did you know that one of the most common causes of numbness, weakness, and pain down your arm could be related to a herniated cervical disc? Other […]Dr. Ihsan O. Erhuy
- Sacroilliac Joint PainSacroilliac joint pain and dysfunction One of the most common causes of low back pain is dysfunction of the Sacroilliac joint (also knows as the SI joint). The sacroilliac joint is one of […]Dr. Ihsan O. Erhuy
- Chiropractors Discuss Hip PainDiagnosis and Treatment of Hip Pain Are you having trouble moving around because of a hip problem? Are you having difficulty walking up or down stairs? Is it painful to […]Dr. Ihsan O. Erhuy
- Chiropractors Discuss Muscle Spasm’s, Sprains and StrainsHow to tell the difference between Muscle Spasm, Sprains, and Strains With the NFL continuing into the playoffs, many of us are sitting by watching the injury reports to see […]Dr. Ihsan O. Erhuy
- Sports Physicals $25.00Sports Physicals and Concussion Screenings $25 With fall sports just around the corner it’s time to get your student athlete’s physical for the year. For a limited time Mountain View […]Dr. Ihsan O. Erhuy
- Centennial CO Chiropractic | Pain ReliefCentennial CO Chiropractic | Pain Relief Centennial CO Chiropractic office offers pain relief to patients suffering from musculoskeletal injuries. Chiropractic is an effective and most importantly cost friendly way to not only relieve your symptoms of pain, […]Dr. Ihsan O. Erhuy
- Centennial Chiropractor | Concussion ScreeningConcussion Test Centennial Chiropractors Do Concussion Screeings For Athletes Centennial Chiropractors | Concussion screening is a new and effective way to aid in the early and more accurate detect of […]Dr. Ihsan O. Erhuy