Treatment and Diagnosis of Concussions
Deciding when an athlete has fully recovered from a concussion or concussions and can safely return to play is a difficult challenge… resuming activity before full recovery can dangerously exacerbate a head injury and/or result in an orthopedic injury. Using the state-of-the-art Biodex Balance System we can create a concussion management program that begins with objective neuro-physical baseline testing. This testing will provide a simple clinical guideline for sideline assessments of athletes and follow-up evaluations will provide insight to the question, “Can this athlete return to play?”
The decision to return an athlete to play following a sports-related brain injury is complex and requires the analysis of several sources of data. The decision can be determined by a chiropractor. Chiropractors receive extensive training in the recognition of concussion due to the high incidence of this injury amongst chiropractic patients. This is particularly true in those chiropractors who have received post graduate certificates in sports medicine and like Dr. Ihsan Erhuy, or have received post-graduate courses in neurology, like Dr. Niall McNally, who is a Certified Chiropractic Neurologist. At Mountain View Pain center we can determine baseline and post-injury neuropsychological assessments with the help of the Biodex Balance System to help determine if a concussion was present. With a complex knowledge of the body, sports injuries, and neurology, the Doctors at Mountain View Pain Center posses the training and skill sets necessary to provide the unique expertise in the assessment of cognitive functioning and post-injury neurocognitive and psychological assessment.
An often overlooked component of concussion treatment is the neck injuries that frequently accompany the concussion. Neck injury symptoms can be very similar to concussion symptoms and can be impossible to differentiate without the expert help of a doctor. Untreated conditions of the cervical spine will often linger in the same fashion as concussions.
The most important thing to remember about concussions is that early diagnosis is critical. If you have suffered a neck or head injury, consult with a medical professional as soon as possible. Do not participate in sports or other vigorous activity until you do so. Chiropractic physicians are well trained in concussion diagnosis and should be involved in treating neck injuries that frequently accompany concussions. Delaying treatment of neck symptoms until the concussion resolves is not advisable and may impede recovery.
Mountain View Pain Center Centennial, CO (303) 221-1569 Aurora, CO (303) 645-4363
Free Blog News Letter
- Whiplash From An Auto AccidentDo you have a whiplash injury? During this time of the year motor vehicle accidents are more frequent due to the winter weather conditions. Even from a minor fender bender […]Dr. Ihsan O. Erhuy
- Core Strength and Low Back PainToday’s Discussion: How Core Strength and Low Back Pain Are Related In the world of Chiropractic, Physical Therapy, and Sports Medicine, there is much debate and discussion revolving around the […]Dr. Ihsan O. Erhuy
- Facet Syndrome Treatment and DiagnosisOur Chiropractors Discuss Treatment and Diagnosis of Facet Syndrome This week’s discussion deals with facet syndrome. Facet syndrome is one of the most common causes of pain originating from the […]Dr. Ihsan O. Erhuy
- Chiropractors Discuss Herniated Cervical DiscsHerniated Cervical Discs Did you know that one of the most common causes of numbness, weakness, and pain down your arm could be related to a herniated cervical disc? Other […]Dr. Ihsan O. Erhuy
- Sacroilliac Joint PainSacroilliac joint pain and dysfunction One of the most common causes of low back pain is dysfunction of the Sacroilliac joint (also knows as the SI joint). The sacroilliac joint is one of […]Dr. Ihsan O. Erhuy
- Chiropractors Discuss Hip PainDiagnosis and Treatment of Hip Pain Are you having trouble moving around because of a hip problem? Are you having difficulty walking up or down stairs? Is it painful to […]Dr. Ihsan O. Erhuy
- Chiropractors Discuss Muscle Spasm’s, Sprains and StrainsHow to tell the difference between Muscle Spasm, Sprains, and Strains With the NFL continuing into the playoffs, many of us are sitting by watching the injury reports to see […]Dr. Ihsan O. Erhuy
- Sports Physicals $25.00Sports Physicals and Concussion Screenings $25 With fall sports just around the corner it’s time to get your student athlete’s physical for the year. For a limited time Mountain View […]Dr. Ihsan O. Erhuy
- Centennial CO Chiropractic | Pain ReliefCentennial CO Chiropractic | Pain Relief Centennial CO Chiropractic office offers pain relief to patients suffering from musculoskeletal injuries. Chiropractic is an effective and most importantly cost friendly way to not only relieve your symptoms of pain, […]Dr. Ihsan O. Erhuy
- Centennial Chiropractor | Concussion ScreeningConcussion Test Centennial Chiropractors Do Concussion Screeings For Athletes Centennial Chiropractors | Concussion screening is a new and effective way to aid in the early and more accurate detect of […]Dr. Ihsan O. Erhuy