Diagnosis and Treatment of Degenerative Arthritis
Stiffness in the joints is a common condition that increases with aging. When the stiffness worsens to the point of being painful, arthritis may be the diagnosis. Arthritis is breakdown of normal cartilage caused by either excessive joint wear and tear or from an autoimmune disease called rheumatoid arthritis. Degenerative arthritis will usually occur on one side of the body as opposed to rheumatoid arthritis which is commonly bilateral. This form of arthritis is chiefly due to wear and tear or repetitive injury to the same joint or joints. Degenerative arthritis is defined as a non-inflammatory joint disease that may affect almost any joint in the body.
Early detection of arthritis is essential. Once damage to a joint surface begins, little can be done to restore it back to the original condition. This is because cartilage, the material that makes up the surfaces of the joint, has a poor blood supply. Although cartilage will heal to a degree, it simply will not heal as well as muscle or skin. The good news is that with proper care and supervised rehabilitative exercises, the surrounding support tissues can be strengthened to compensate for many of these joint disorders.
As cartilage continues to be worn down, the joint has increasing difficulty functioning. A simple analogy to this is to go loosen the hinges on a door and see how poorly it opens and closes. Even if the swelling could be entirely removed from a very arthritic joint, the lack of proper joint motion would cause so much additional stress to the joint that the swelling would quickly return.
It is important to reduce and control the swelling of arthritis as swelling itself contributes to the destruction of the cartilage. People who suffer from degenerative arthritis commonly experience swelling after activity.
It is important to use arthritic joints as disuse also leads to more arthritic changes; however, it is vital to not over stress an arthritic joint; otherwise, the swelling may significantly worsen. Here at Mountain View Pain Center, your Doctor of Chiropractic will help guide you before you begin any exercise program or commit to any significant physically related lifestyle changes.
Treatment of Degenerative Arthritis
Chiropractors see many patients with degenerative arthritis. The spine is especially susceptible to this disorder. In fact, you may have the early signs of spinal degenerative arthritis but just have not noticed the symptoms yet. Simple palpation (feeling) of the vertebrae while the spine is slowly being moved can discover joints that do not move as freely as other joints do. This is one finding that could lead to a diagnosis of degenerative arthritis. Another revealing procedure is a simple x- ray. An x-ray film can reveal the bony changes associated with either degenerative or rheumatic arthritis.
The treatment for the two types of arthritis is similar. Both require ice, passive motion (the practitioner moves the joint while the patient remains relaxed) and or the use of ultrasound to help control the swelling. Moist heat is also needed to help increase circulation. Paraffin wax baths are helpful for hands and wrists while moist hot packs are used for the spine, shoulders, and knees. Arthritic hips may require deep heat sources like microwave or short wave diathermy. This is because the hip joints are seated to deeply in the pelvis to reach with more commonly used therapies. At Mountain View Pain Center we can provide, prescribe, or recommend these therapies as needed. The application of spinal and or extremity manipulation may also be used to help you gain control over your arthritic condition. Nutritional counseling, exercise instruction, and lifestyle changes may additional considerations during your course of care.
Free Blog News Letter
- Whiplash From An Auto AccidentDo you have a whiplash injury? During this time of the year motor vehicle accidents are more frequent due to the winter weather conditions. Even from a minor fender bender […]Dr. Ihsan O. Erhuy
- Core Strength and Low Back PainToday’s Discussion: How Core Strength and Low Back Pain Are Related In the world of Chiropractic, Physical Therapy, and Sports Medicine, there is much debate and discussion revolving around the […]Dr. Ihsan O. Erhuy
- Facet Syndrome Treatment and DiagnosisOur Chiropractors Discuss Treatment and Diagnosis of Facet Syndrome This week’s discussion deals with facet syndrome. Facet syndrome is one of the most common causes of pain originating from the […]Dr. Ihsan O. Erhuy
- Chiropractors Discuss Herniated Cervical DiscsHerniated Cervical Discs Did you know that one of the most common causes of numbness, weakness, and pain down your arm could be related to a herniated cervical disc? Other […]Dr. Ihsan O. Erhuy
- Sacroilliac Joint PainSacroilliac joint pain and dysfunction One of the most common causes of low back pain is dysfunction of the Sacroilliac joint (also knows as the SI joint). The sacroilliac joint is one of […]Dr. Ihsan O. Erhuy
- Chiropractors Discuss Hip PainDiagnosis and Treatment of Hip Pain Are you having trouble moving around because of a hip problem? Are you having difficulty walking up or down stairs? Is it painful to […]Dr. Ihsan O. Erhuy
- Chiropractors Discuss Muscle Spasm’s, Sprains and StrainsHow to tell the difference between Muscle Spasm, Sprains, and Strains With the NFL continuing into the playoffs, many of us are sitting by watching the injury reports to see […]Dr. Ihsan O. Erhuy
- Sports Physicals $25.00Sports Physicals and Concussion Screenings $25 With fall sports just around the corner it’s time to get your student athlete’s physical for the year. For a limited time Mountain View […]Dr. Ihsan O. Erhuy
- Centennial CO Chiropractic | Pain ReliefCentennial CO Chiropractic | Pain Relief Centennial CO Chiropractic office offers pain relief to patients suffering from musculoskeletal injuries. Chiropractic is an effective and most importantly cost friendly way to not only relieve your symptoms of pain, […]Dr. Ihsan O. Erhuy
- Centennial Chiropractor | Concussion ScreeningConcussion Test Centennial Chiropractors Do Concussion Screeings For Athletes Centennial Chiropractors | Concussion screening is a new and effective way to aid in the early and more accurate detect of […]Dr. Ihsan O. Erhuy